Wednesday 29 July 2009

Don't believe the hype!!!!!!!!!!



Everybody should know the name Drake by now. “Baby you’re the best…. You’re the best I ever had”. For those who don’t know Aubrey Drake Graham is a 22 year old actor turned rapper and there is a lot of hype surrounding this young cat.

I first heard his song on the radio a few months ago and my first thoughts were... the song is aighht. It’s a catchy teeny bopper tune, I’m sure the young ones will love it and sure enough they do. One track is not enough for me to gauge how good an artist is so I listened to his album.

The album is OKAY! I definitely think it’s one for the ladies. It reminds me a little of Lil Wayne’s The Carter III. What stood out for me is the amount of sample’s used… hmmm nothing original there. His delivery is all right nothing spectacular and he covers the typical hip-hop lyrical content of girls, sex, bleep this, you mo-fo that, bleep, bleep, bleep. You know you’re not deemed a true rapper without the odd cuss word. I don’t feel the album has any real conscious lyrical content or original production, but no doubt from all the hype this album will push units just like 50 Cent’s "Get Rich Or Die Trying".

The one thing that could work in Drake’s favour is that he sings as well as raps? Although I'm still not convinced ...time will tell I guess.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails