Monday 28 September 2009

The Pressures of looking good...


I’d like to think I’m not the only female that feels the pressures of looking groomed everyday (I’m sure some men have this problem too). You know how it is your hair looks constantly slick, clothes pieced together effortlessly, nails painted with not one chip, make up flawless.

I have never been the kind of girl that will get up extra early to achieve that near perfected make-up look, who’s got time plus I love my sleep too much. However I know there are some females that do this and I take my hat off to them.

There’s the added pressure of female celebrities that more or less look damn near perfect every time you see them. I remind myself that they have stylists, hairdressers and make-up artists on call 24/7. I’m just saying it can be hard for an everyday chick like me.

This post has been brought on because I went to the hairdressers last week and got my hair did! Why is it that you can never achieve the look that your hairdressers do? So my hair is currently looking glossy and healthy due to a relaxer and treatment. You know how you have an extra spring in your step when your hair looks good, come on now! Or your outfit looks fly or you’ve got on a new pair of shoes. Someone even said I looked super-star-ish yesterday lol (I think it was the shades).

I guess it all boils down to making time to pamper yourself and working with what you’ve got. Let's not forget that your diet and exercise regime plays a big factor in all of this. I don’t feel you need tons of money you just need to find what works best for you and run with it. Then the confidence will grow and you will feel good regardless. I can honestly say I’m getting there, I have cut my hair in a style that I LOVE!!! I’ve become a bit more daring with my clothes and am finally learning what colours, styles and cut’s work for me- whooo hooooo!

Do I still have insecurities? Yes ma'm but I guess that's just a part of life!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting and honest. Good blog. Stephen C

Fab Black Woman said...

very good post, and i like your new cut, it suits you. you go girl!

K-HART said...

thanks miss fab black!

Anonymous said...

i like style (not fashion!) and i enjoy looking good...but there is far too much pressure on women not just to look good, but also that "good" has a particular definition

i feel what we do in this world is far more important that how we look in this world.

i found that tv and women's magazines repeatedly made me feel bad about myself (my looks mainly), so i decided they had to go.

if i spend all my time - not to mention money - on looking "good", what's left over for actually living life, achieving things, being with loved ones, understanding others' difficulties and doing something about it?

Unknown said...

You women put pressure on yourself, it's not men that say you have to look a certain way,we don't like stick thin women, well I don't and you don't see those size 0 women walking the street, perhaps they haven't the energy, and most women look fantastic with out all that junk on your face, free yourself and go natural, and stop judging eaCH OTHER.

Anonymous said...

freddy - men, magazines, films, etc: they all put pressure on straight women to look a certain way.

it's not just about size 0, i know lots of men aren't into that.

there many factors: age (mainstream media does not consider women over a certain age to be attractive and often men want to date a younger, even much younger, woman)

size (men often have their own ideals on this, even if it's not size 0)

breast size

etc.

i'm not saying all men are shallow. but there is pressure on women from lots of angles!

Related Posts with Thumbnails