Wednesday 2 December 2009

Push

Push the novel by Sapphire has been made into a film and re-titled ‘Precious’. It’s the movie on everyone’s lips and will probably receive a few Oscars next year. I couldn't wait until February (UK opening) so opted to read the book instead. This novel is not for the faint hearted and a little disturbing in parts. Some scenes left my mouth hanging wide open and I had to shake my head on too many occasions. I definitely need to go and watch this film when it comes out.

The book tells the tale of a young girl who has two children by the age of sixteen and suffers sexual, mental and physical abuse. It’s such a harrowing tale and I really felt for Precious (the main character) you can’t help but feel empathy. It seems the world is against her and this is the time when she needed her family and friends the most but unfortunately her family wasn’t there. My faith would really begin to waver if God forbid I was to encounter a similar situation.

It just goes to show, you don't know what people are going through! Especially young kids out there who feel they don't have a voice. Seriously all we can do is pray as the world we live in is not good! Unfortunately we don't get to choose the cards that life deals. We just have to preserve and keep the faith. This story has made me think twice before I start moaning and complaining when things don't go my way.

1 comment:

fashionbytes said...

I've finally managed to buy this and plan on reading it asap. The film appears to have gotten mixed reviews in the states but is generating a lot of Oscar buzz particularly for Mo'Nique and Gabourey Sidibe. I also didn't realise that Lenny Kravitz had a part in the film...which makes it a must see for me ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails