Friday 19 June 2009

Jill come back!



Golden oldie for ya’ll. I heard this song on the radio this morning and it brought back memories. This song was most prominent during my last year of college 2000/2001, the year I decided to knuckle down and focus.

I wasn’t quite ready for this album when it first came out. I had a copy and gave it away- WHY?!?! I was too into Bad Boy, Dru Hill and Total at the time. I think the reason why I really love this song is because it reminds me of a good old friend/associate of mine. He was originally from Bristol and came to study in the land of Brum and had a slight edge compared to the usual Birmingham mans dem (I wonder what he’s doing with himself now). Anywhoo he was into conscious music the likes of Jill Scott, Erykah Badu and Lauryn Hill and he helped influenced my musical direction.

So I brought the album again “Who is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds vol 1” to follow fashion and grew to love it. I think this is Jill’s finest work to date but then I’m always a bit biased when it comes to artists and their debut albums. Not to mention I went to see her at Brixton Academy when I first moved down south and to this day that gig is still part of my top ten. Jill you need top drop another album soon!

2 comments:

queenofsheba said...

one of my fav albums to, she is quite a good actress as well - No. 1 Ladies detective was good TV

Roc said...

I heart Jill.. As well as India Arie..

Timeless music right there..

Related Posts with Thumbnails