Tuesday 14 July 2009

Curtain Call


Yesterday was my final class for Drama and Vocal Training and what an eventful ten weeks it has been. We started off the evening with breathing exercises which I found a little difficult. Yes I know how to breathe, but there is actually a technique that singers and public speakers use, they breathe from their belly! We also did some throat and mouth exercises, very interesting! I must try these before I go on air.

The main focus of yesterday’s class was to get feedback from the past ten weeks and to really focus on public speaking. We all did one last speech for good measure; mine was a piece by Nelson Mandela. I’ve got a bit of a way to go before I can get into public speaking.

The one piece of advice that really hit home for me was that I am quite a comical person and that is a good thing, but I really need to identify the appropriate time to act serious and when to play the joker. As I often play the fool when I get embarrassed or nervous and use it as a defence mechanism. This is okay around friends etc but in a professional capacity it’s a NO, NO!!! Hawa my tutor explained that she used to be the same but now knows the time and the place to be the comedian.

We also had to say what other people think when they hear our voice and how it makes them feel. Me being Karen noted mostly negative things- what is with that?!?!?! For a start no one has said anything negative and why would I think that? I really need to start believing in myself a little bit more! I’ve noticed that us Brits are so reserved and don’t seem to blow our own trumpet enough, maybe we need take a leaf out of the good old Americans book?

I have learned so much about myself within these past ten weeks and have met a group of wonderful people. This class wasn’t just about vocal training it was about tapping into my abilities and believing in myself. I am glad I invested in this course and no doubt I will see the benefits some time in the near future.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails