Sunday 8 November 2009

Week 4 Of My Journey Getting To New York

I'm not going to lie, I haven’t done nardah this week in relation to my trip too New York. It’s been a bit of a busy week so NYC cold calling has been put to the side. However I did say that I would explain how I got to New York last year, so here goes.
First off I secured a couple of work placements (they weren’t paid mind you) via e-mails and cold calling. This seemed to be the easiest part of setting up my trip. Going to work in New York is something that I’ve wanted to do since my teenage years; you could call it a dream of mine. So when I finally achieved it I was on cloud nine.

Then there was the challenge of trying to find accommodation. Somewhere that wasn’t in the sticks and not too expensive. I considered renting an apartment but was dubious as I couldn’t go and view the places and a lot of them where out of my price range. I didn’t really want to go down the hostel route as I love my own space too much but lo and behold I ended up spending the whole 5 weeks in one. Fortunately the location was central (Manhattan) and provided breakfast and dinner so I really couldn’t complain. I was able to walk to both of my work placements (praise God) so that saved a lot of money. Sometimes you have to come out of your comfort zone a little and this proved good for me. It was an all female hostel I had my own room (a must) and just had to share the bathroom. All the girls were nice and I made some good friends!

Getting my Visa again was quite simple as my friend advised me which type to get and once work and accommodation was sorted they couldn't technically say no. I got an I-Visa which allowed me to work for any non american media company i.e BBC and a few others and lasts for 5 years. Of course I could have done a few internships out there as well but fear took over.

After that the only challenge left was raising enough money to survive off for 5 weeks. Surviving meant basic food and travel, no make-up, gadget, pefume or shoe shopping for me I was surprised at how good I was with my finances before, during and after I returned from New York. Isn't it funny how disciplined you can be when you really want something hmmmm. Of course there were challenges along the way whilst there but I’ll have to save that for another post. I should have a bit more progression for ya'll next Sunday.

.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails