Sunday 11 October 2009

Phase One of my journey getting to New York.


I've decided to do a weekly diary on my progression towards working in New York for 3 months next year 2010. The aim is to go in August as I have a tendency to procrastinate and need a deadline. I want to enjoy a summer out there have fun and work of course. I can’t lie at lot needs to be done and August will swing round in no time. This month is all about making contacts at certain media outlets and I'm going to aim high this time. This is why it's important for me to follow my plan and stick to it.

Another important factor is going to be money. One of the sacrifices I've had to make is working on Saturday and Sunday from the hours of 6am-12pm. This means sometimes working seven days a week. I started this shift in September and will work every weekend right through till December. I am not an early bird, never have been and doubt I will be until the children come lol. Do I enjoy getting out of bed early particularly on the weekend....NO! However I have to stay focused and remember exactly why I'm doing this. These extra shifts will enable me to start saving some serious money as I'm going to need every penny. After doing a brainstorm with a friend of mine I'll need to save at least £400 a month if I plan to go next August whoo! Nothing is impossible but it will be a challenge as I have the usual outgoings to pay rent, bills, transport, food etc. No more shoes for me (get the violins out)

Roots "Sacrifice" song comes to mind- "I tell you one lesson I learned, If you want to reach something in life, You ain't gonna get it unless, You give a little bit of sacrifice"

It's s funny how you always get challenged in your weakest areas. When I worked in New York last year I met some people who are on Diddy's level they DON'T sleep and if I’m serious abut making an impression I'm going to have to be the first one in and the last one out. The media in the states is a whole different ball game and whilst there are more opportunities competition is a lot fiercer. The saying be careful what you ask for comes to mind as visiting America for a few weeks is all fun and dandy but to work there. I’ll have to be tenacious, confident, consistent, hungry and adopt a can do attitude to everything.

You can read part two of my journey getting to New York next Sunday.

8 comments:

Matilda Egere-Cooper said...

Go girl! I love the way you're thinking - if I wanna join you, I need to work out one of those plans myself bwoy!!!

Unknown said...

Don't you need a permit to work? Unless you're gonna be doing some under the table -ish?

Good luck! x

fashionbytes said...

I'm loving the new organised you! Stick to your plan and you'll be in NYC before you know it. I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and start making some plans myself!!

fashionbytes said...

ooh and I forgot to add...I absolutely love your new layout!!!

K-HART said...

@matilda yeah girl we gon run New York tonight....heeey heey

@vex in the city i got a visa last year when i worked out there for a month. Although i need a different type if i'm really gonna get my hustle on.

@fashionbytes girl you'll be coming out the same time too. ps thanks for your help with my blog! x

K said...

I have every faith in the world that you're going to make it the NYC.

You're most deserving of such a dream! Go K - Hart!

DKay said...

There is no doubt in my mind that you will be in NY next year. The diary is a brilliant idea, love it, feel like im on the journey with you. looking forward to next week.

Unknown said...

Ahhh you'll be alright ..do what you gotta do x

Related Posts with Thumbnails